Houston Cosmetic Dentist
Greenway Plaza area
3700 Buffalo Speedway Ste.310
Houston, TX 77098
Toothache due to cavity is a recurring event and often the cause of children missing school or adults missing work. Not to mention the sheer pain, which is so difficult to bear. And to top it all, the scary dentist’s chair that loom in our minds whenever we have tooth problems. But all these can be avoided by following few cavity prevention practices.
• The easiest and most effective way is to brush your teeth at least twice a day and for minimum two to three minutes. Simple scrub does not work like simply dunking hands in water does not make it clean.
• Prevention is better than cure. So start using a tooth paste which has cavity prevention content. Don’t wait for the cavity to set in your teeth. Start using such products as preventive measure.
• Other than water, everything you eat or drink causes the bacteria in your mouth to form acid which decays your teeth. So it is advisable to rinse your mouth after every drink or snacks. However, the best way is to restrain from frequent munching of junk food and sipping aerated drinks.
• Know if the water supplied in your locality is fluoride treated or not. Or drink at least one pint of fluoride water. It is extremely effective in controlling tooth decay among kids. If not, use fluoride mouth wash. The mouth wash also kills the cavity forming bacteria. Rinse your mouth for full one minute following brush. Don’t eat anything at least for next half an hour.
• Make floss an integral part of your oral hygiene regime. Floss your teeth preferably after every meal. A substitute for floss is interdental cleaners for cavity prevention.
• Avoid junk snacks that are high on carbohydrates. Aerated drinks, candy, chips or pretzels are sticky thus stay on the surface of teeth. Brush after having such foods to free your teeth from the food remains.
• Pay a regular visit to your dentist to make sure you have a healthy teeth and gum.
• Check with him if fluoride supplements are required to make your teeth strong.
• You can also ask about sealants. Dental sealants are preventive plastic coating to stop tooth decay. They are applied on the chewing surface of your molar teeth.
• You can also consider antibacterial treatment as cavity prevention measure. This is especially important if you are prone to cavity.
Once cavity is formed, you will need special treatment depending on the seriousness of the same. Treatment includes multifarious activities like fluoride treatment, fillings, crowns, root canal and tooth extractions. Tooth extraction can follow implant, an expensive affair or bridge, a visible appliance inside your mouth. Of course, the root canal and tooth extractions are quite painful by themselves. Also, in dentistry, not all procedures are covered by insurance. It is better to be safe than sorry. If you religiously follow the above mentioned tips, you can keep cavity at bay for a long time. An undisciplined life may lead to pain and expense or a few healthy habits may lead to a nice smile - choice is yours.